[Main Index] [Bottom]
read the instructions
before requesting help!
[To join the list of
I have been maintaining this page for several years, but have been more
sporadic in updates because of constraints on my time. While I am happy to
continue this work, I would defer the job to someone who can devote more time
and attention to it. If you are interested in becoming the maintainer of
this page, please contact Veronica Aguiano on the Main Index Page or contact me.
Many kudos to Mike Rice for launching this concept and maintaining it for so
long on his own! Currently the entire system of Help List pages are being
coordinated and maintained by Veronica Aguiano, who is doing an excellent job.
The people who have volunteered to help you are listed below.
Please be patient, as look-ups can take time, even if one is looking
through books or CDs in one's possession, and especially if someone is going to
a court house, library, or archive to assist you.
When e-mailing your request to volunteers:
Give full names, dates,
counties, states, relationships of the persons your are inquiring about and tell
the resource (book title, etc.) you are requesting information from.
subject line of your e-mail should start with the word "Lookup" so
they'll see right away it's not junk e-mail.
If more than one person lists
the same location to research, ask only one person at a time. Don't
cause a waste of valuable volunteer time on duplicative work.
these people are volunteering their help to you free of charge; please ensure
that you thank them for their help and provide ANY postage or
copying fees ahead of time, if your request requires such help.
If you are able to - volunteer your own resources!
To view a map of Virginia Counties.
Virginia keeps vital records confidential for a long time, so many records you may be researching may not yet be available in public databases and publications. In Virginia, if you are seeking information on someone born within the last 100 years or married, divorced, or who died within the last 50 years, go to the Virginia Office of Vital Records website. Also, check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and Vital Records Genealogy Information.
If you don't find the help you need listed here, or if you are new to
genealogy, visit my Suggested Links Page.
The following address is no longer valid. Bonnie Smith has also volunteered
to do look-ups for Mathews County, VA. See the entry below. Also see
additional entry below on Mathews County Historical Society.
Tom, if you visit us, please send us your new e-mail address.
Tom Aldred, Jr. firstname.lastname@example.org
Matthew's County, Virginia, USA
- Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia
- Cavaliers and Pioneers ( Virginia Land Grants and
- Tombstones of Mathews County, Virginia,
Bonnie T. Smith email@example.com
Virginia in general:
- Book of Tombstones of Mathews Co. (1711 - 1986)
- Mathews Co. Marriage Registers (Books 1, 2 & 3) & actual marriage.
- Mathews Co. Death Register (1865-1874)
- Mathews Co. Birth Register (1865-1874)
- Mathews Men Who Served in the War Between the States.
- Microfilm of past Mathews Journal Newspaper (1907 present)
Mathews County Historical Society
The Society publishes The Tombstones of Mathews County and you may purchase a
copy from them.
They also have available census abstracts of Mathews County
from 1790 through 1860.
To purchase of get more information, write to:
The Mathews County Historical Society
P. O. Box 855
Mathews, VA 23109
Although the Society has an archivist, it is not really set up to answer
genealogical inquiries at this time. The treasurer, Bob Warren, informs me
that he hopes this may change in a year or two.
Sylvia Oliver Rowe firstname.lastname@example.org
Gloucester County, Gloucester,
Gloucester Library, Gloucester,
- Courthouse and cemetery records
William Meacham email@example.com
Early Virginia Immigrants 1623-1666 by George Cabell Greer; Richmond,
VA 1910; re-published 1960 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD
This is an alphabetical listing of ca. 20,000 immigrants with the following
information: name of immigrant, date (probably the year in which
"headright" was claimed, rather than the immigrant's arrival in Virginia), name
of patentee or other party importing the immigrant, county. Rarely, there
is other information, such as "his wife." There is no index of patentees.
Janet Brown JBrown3338@aol.com
Historical Society, Virginia, USA
- Buckingham County census records-1810-1870
- Info on Albemarle County
The following address is the NEW address for Jenny, but she's in the process
of moving, so she's not available for the moment to help. Jenny, please let us know your new address.
Jenny Lee firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virginia Wills and Administrations 1632-1800
- Loudoun County Marriages 1760-1850
William F. Reynolds email@example.com
- Early Virginia and West Virginia
- Various census records for West Virginia
Alice B. Owens firstname.lastname@example.org
Lookups in the actual indices of records maintained in the Albemarle
Or lookups in the actual indices of records maintained in
the Fluvanna County Clerk’s office for:
County Clerk’s offfice for:
goes to the court houses to search the records, so please be specific as to
which county and the exact records you are seeking.
- extant births and deaths (1853-1893)
- Fluvanna County federal census 1850, 1860, 1870
I have received reports that this is no longer a valid address. Vicki,
if you still want to do look-ups, please send me your current address.
Amherst County Courthouse, Amherst, Virginia, USA
- Amherst County deeds, marriage certificates, and wills
Jerry, if you visit this page, please let me know if you still are doing
look-ups and verify your e-mail address.
Jerry Landis email@example.com
Salem Lutheran Church, Mt Sidney, Augusta County, Virginia,
- Fauquier County marriage, birth, and death
- Fauquier County wills, deeds index
- Fauquier County tombstones
Lisa Skowronski is no longer able to do look-ups.
- Prince William County marriage, death records
Some inquirers have indicated difficulty in contacting and hearing from
Donna. Donna, if you visit the page, please update me on your status as a
volunteer and give us your current/preferred e-mail address if still doing
Donna Jellerson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Newspaper obituaries for Norfolk County, City of
Norfolk, City of
Portsmouth, City of Virginia
Beach, some Princess Anne County and
surrounding area, from 1884 through present....
provided date of death is known
- Cemetery and burial information for:
o Any cemetery in Portsmouth, Virginia
o Some cemeteries in Norfolk and Virginia Beach
Barb has contacted me with her new e-mail and an update on her look-up
Barb Craley email@example.com
I would be happy to do
look-ups from the following texts:
- "Hopewell Friends History, 1734-1934, Frederick County, Virginia", 1936
Quaker records from the Hopewell Friends Meeting
- Barb no longer has: "Abstracts of Wills, Inventories &
Administration Accounts of Frederick Co.,
VA 1743-1800" by J. Estelle
Stewart King, 1982 If you have printed out a previous edition of this page,
scratch off this item.
Jan Dool is not doing look-ups at this time. She
will let us know if and when she will resume.
For CITY OF NORFOLK, Virginia:
Jan's homepage is:
- Photos (digital and 35 mm) taken of tombstones in Forest Lawn Cemetery
- Obituary lookups for Norfolk area - provided death and/or burial date is
and she has placed a lot of Norfolk area information on it.
Darcy McCabe firstname.lastname@example.org
Rockbridge County, VA:
- Births 1853-1896
- Deaths 1853-1870
- Marriages 1776-1922
B. J. Holcomb, LCDR, USN (Ret) BHolc39803@aol.com
Will research the Tidewater area using the facilities of the entire region to
look up information. Be very patient on the time issue, as none of his
look-ups can be done from home. Also, because he is going to check places
where there are many sources, be very specific about what you want him to look
Beth Maxwell EMAMAMAX@aol.com
Beth has offered to do what she can as her time permits. Some of the
resources Beth has:
Middlesex County, VA:
Although Beth was previously listed for other areas, she is ONLY
researching Middlesex County.
- Christ Church Parish Register, Middlesex County, VA 1653-1812 by J.
- Records of Middlesex County, VA by Helyn Hatton Collison
- Middlesex County Marriage Records 1853-1904 and 1880 Census by
Catherine Moore Traylor
- Family Histories of Middlesex County, VA by APVA
- Historic Buildings in Middlesex County, VA 1650-1775
I have received reports that this address is no longer valid. Missy,
if you visit this page, please let me know if you still are doing look-ups and
give us your current e-mail address.
Missy has offered to do lookups by surname only
(NOT by events or specific year) of abstracts from 18th Century Virginia
Julie Sandidge is no longer doing look-ups.
If Julie provided photocopies to you already, and you have not re-imbursed her,
please do so. We have asked that researchers not be expected to pay for
copies for you out of their own pockets.
Lori Samples is no longer
doing look-ups. Please do not e-mail her if you still have her
I have received reports that this address is not
working. Sharon, please let me know if your address has changed and if you
still want to do look-ups.
Can possibly help with:
- Martinsville/Henry County
- Franklin County
- Patrick County
Melissa Hartley Sweethrtgal@aol.com
volunteered for a long list of items. Please be patient in expecting
response from her.
- Records of Middlesex County, VA by Helyn Collison, published by
Family Line Publications, 1997
- Middlesex County Marriage Records 1853-1904 by Catherine Moore
Taylor, published by Heritage Books, Inc., 1997
- Federal Census 1880 Middlesex County, VA by Catherine Moore Taylor,
published by Heritage Books, Inc., 1997
- Death Records of Gloucester County, Virginia 1865-1890: A Special
of the Gloucester Genealogical Society of Virginia
published May 2000 by L.
Roane Hunt for the Gen. Society
- Middlesex County - Virginia Publick Claims ( *Publick* is spelled
way on the title ....) by Janice L. Abercrombie, published by Iberian
Publishing Company, no dates given
- Gloucester County - Virginia Publick Claims also by same person and
publisher as above
- (*This book is complex and may take me some time to do look ups from)
Records of Colonial Gloucester County Virginia Volumes I and II = A
collection of abstracts from original documents concerning the lands
people of Colonial Gloucester County. Compiled by
Polly Cary Mason,
Clearfield Publishing 1946,1948,1992,1994,1997
Freda Kirby email@example.com no longer able to do
look-ups. If she can resume later, she'll let us know.
Freda works full time, so be sure to allow plenty of time for
Freda to respond. Also, because she is going to check places where there
are many sources, be very specific about what you want her to look up.
- Augusta County Library
- Augusta County Courthouse
Agnes Donnelly ADonn4life@aol.com
Because she is going
to check places where there are many sources, be very specific about what you
want Agnes to look up.
- Rockingham County Courthouse
- Genealogy Room, Harrisonburg Library--well stocked with Shenandoah Valley
Beverly Casey firstname.lastname@example.org
- History of Pittsylvania County, Virginia
- History of Henry County, Virginia
- History of Halifax County, Virginia
- Marriages of Pittsylvania County, Virginia 1767-1805
Pam Parsons email@example.com
- They Called Stafford Home by Jerrilyn Eby
- Old Stafford County Virginia Overwharton Parish Register 1720-1760
Georgia Bristol Jorga@brawleyonline.com
has listed many sources, but her time to use them may be limited. Please
be patient in waiting for a response from her, and be specific in your request
as to date and county as well as names.
- 1850 Bedford County, Virginia Census
- 1850 Louisa County, Virginia Census
- 1850 Wythe County, Virginia Census
- 1870 Head of Household Census Index for Virginia
- 1880 Census - Virginia
- Marriage Records for Botetourt County, Virginia 1770-1853
- Marriage Records for Chesterfield County, Virginia 1771-1815
- Marriage Bonds and Ministers Returns of Chesterfield County, Virginia
- Marriage Records for Frederick County, Virginia 1783-1850
- Marriage Bonds and Ministers Returns for Halifax County, Virginia
- Marriages of Halifax County, Virginia 1801-1831
- Marriages of Henrico County, Virginia 1680-1808
- Marriages of Loudoun County, Virginia 1760-1850
- Marriages of Louisa County, Virginia 1815-1861
- Marriages of Mecklenburg County, Virginia 1765-1853
- Marriage Records for Orange County, Virginia 1747-1850
- Marriage Records for Wythe County, Virginia 1790-1850
- Giles County, Virginia Marriages 1806-1850
- Fluvanna County, VA Marriages 1781-1849
- Brunswick County, Virginia Marriages 1750-1853
- Augusta County, Virginia Marriages 1748-1850
- Culpeper County, Virginia Marriages 1781-1815
- Marriage Bonds and Ministers Returns of Greenville County, Virginia
This is not a valid address for debby. Debby, if
you visit this page, please send us your current address.
Debby Overbey firstname.lastname@example.org
Because she is
going to check places where there are many sources, be very specific about what
you want Debby to look up, and allow tine for her to visit the courthouse and
- Marriage records, will, and land deeds in Scott
- Families of Scott County
Sharon can not do look-ups at this time. She will let us
know if and when she can resume.
shift work and also volunteers for another site. She only takes periodic
trips to the State Library (at least once a month) and her local courthouses, so
please be patient with her and allow plenty of time to respond.
line of your e-mail should start with the word "Lookup" so she'll see right away
it's not junk e-mail.
Be specific about year and location as well as names.
Will research lookups (marriage, birth, death, wills, census, etc.),
obituaries, cemetery pictures, and newspaper articles (be sure to provide at
least a month and year as well as names for newspapers & obits).
- State Library
- Portsmouth, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake
Julie Cabitto email@example.com
Julie has offered to do look-ups for the Spotsylvania Virginia Courthouse Confederate Cemetery. She has a roster of names and information from stones with common surnames.
Cheryl Elswick CELSWICK5@aol.com
Cheryl has three small
children, so please allow plenty of time for her to respond.
Make sure that
the subject line of your e-mail starts with the word "Lookup" so she'll see
right away it's not junk e-mail.
- Finch Families of Dixie 300 Years in the South
- Early marriages, wills, and some Revolutionary War records in Botetourt
- Related Families of Botetourt County, Virginia
- Cemeteries in Botetourt County, Virginia
- Wills and Marriages in Montgomery and Fincastle Counties, Virginia
Sharon Ponton PRIMITIVEBYNATURE@email.msn.com
Since Sharon will need to visit the location, please be patient in getting a
response. Also, be specific about the nature of the document (marriage,
etc.), and give dates and locations, if possible, as well as names.
- Marriages, births, deaths, wills, etc. in Nelson County Courthouse.
Wendy Wilson (Fall) firstname.lastname@example.org
- People from Madagascar or of Malagasy descent in Virginia
Kelley Biskey is no longer doing look-ups
As Kelley has listed many
sources, please be especially patient in waiting for a reply.
- The Wills of Amherst County, Virginia 1761-1865
by the Reverend Bailey Fulton Davis
- Marriage Bonds and Other Marriage Records of
Amherst County, Virginia 1763-1800 Compiled by Willliam Montgomery
- Amherst County, Virginia in the Revolution,
Including Extracts from the "Lost Order Book" 1773-1782 by Lenora
- 58th Virginia Infantry [Civil War] by Robert
- Marriages of Lunenburg County, Virginia
1746-1853, Compiled by Emma R. Matheny and Helen K. Yates
- History of Albemarle County in Virginia by
Reverend Edgar Woods
- A History of the First United Methodist Church of
Lunchburg, Virginia, 1828-1988, With Genealogical Index and Descriptions of
the Church Archives, Editor James Siddons, PhD
- Thomas Watts of Stafford County, Virginia and His
Descendants by Edward C. Watts
- Genealogies of Virginia Families, From Tyler's
Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Volume IV, Walker-Yeardley
& Appendix, Indexed by Gar Parks
Amy O'Neal is no longer doing look-ups as of
Jane Runnals email@example.com
- Newport News, Virginia marriage, birth, and death records
Bambi Woods firstname.lastname@example.org
- Franklin County Virginia Death Records 1853-1896 abstracted by Nell
Hailey, Iberian Publishing Company, Athens, GA 1996
This is NOT Carol's current address. Carol, please
contact us to update your address.
has volunteered to visit the cemetery site, please be especially patient in
waiting for replies.
- Look-ups and photos for the Hugenot Springs Confederate Cemetery, located
in Powhatan County, not far from the Chesterfield County line.
Bonnie Carriles KrazyB73@aol.com
Bonnie has volunteered
to go to sites in a large geographic area. Please give her plenty of time
to reply and research.
- Willing to research sources located in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake,
Norfolk, Hampton, Suffolk, and Portsmouth, VA
Judy McKnight email@example.com
works full time and needs lots of time to research and reply.
- Culpeper County Marriages 1780-1853
- Culpeper County, Virginia Publick Claims
- Albemarle County, Court Papers 1744-1763
Joanette Sabasturm firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marriage Records of Accomack County, Virginia 1776-1854 by Nora
- Graven Stones: Inscriptions from Lower Accomack County,
Virginia by Jean Merritt Mihalyka and Faye Downing Wilson
Cheryl R. Houin email@example.com
- Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Volume 3, Northumberland County Record of
Births 1661-1810, abstracted by Beverley Fleet, published by Genealogical
Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1971.
Harold Wooten firstname.lastname@example.org Lunenburg County va 1750-1853
[Main Index] [Top]
Genealogy Helplist Maintainer of this page: Mary Taylor / email@example.com
Revised January 13, 2003
The Internet Service Provider of this
site is Earthlink/Mindspring/Sprynet.