1 1/2 pounds cucumber (about 4 cups), peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 c rice vinegar
1/2 c water
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp minced red onion
1 Tbsp chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander; sprinkle with salt and toss well. Drain 1 hour. Place cucumbers on several layers of paper towels and cover with additional paper towels. Let stand five minutes, pressing down occasionally. Rinse and pay dry.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and pepper in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cook until reduced to 1/3 c, about 10 minutes.
- Remove vinegar reduction from heat; cool. Stir in onion.
- Combine cucumbers and vinegar reduction in a bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts.
4 servings (3/4 c serving = 76 calories)
Cooking Light, June 2001, p 120.
| Top |
Except where noted, all material on this site is © 2001 Rebecca J. Stevenson