Margaret Alice (Madge) Goodhart Staley Barnes in about 1936:
Tracing the ancestry of my grandmother Margaret Alice Goodhart was very difficult because she was not raised by her natural parents. Her father Joseph O. Goodhart died in Stark County Illinois when she was 7 years old. Her mother, Sarah Ann (Sadie) Throckmorton, then married Wesley Cross, but was unhappy with him and returned to her birthplace in Lucas County, Iowa with her three youngest children. Unable to support herself and her children, she placed two of her children, including my grandmother, with other families. My grandmother was about 11 years old when that happened. Sarah finally returned to her second husband in Putnam Co., IL with her youngest child Cora. My grandmother apparently kept in touch with her mother Sarah, perhaps by mail, because the 1910 census shows my grandmother and her husband and children staying with Sarah and Wesley in Putnam Co., IL. My grandmother did remember enough about her parents to relate names and places to her daughter Ruth Staley Bott, who preserved them in family records. My cousin Karen Bott Baca has preserved all these family notes and records, and has done some excellent research on her own to try to build a more complete family tree. All of my research is based on her information. Some key items that I learned from her were that Joseph O. Goodhart had a brother named Sam, and sisters named Mary Goodhart Addis, and Alice Goodhart Rice.
In early March, 2000 I went to the LDS Family History Library at West L.A. and found Samuel and Joseph Goodhart in the 1880 census records for Stark Co., IL. They both reported that they were born in Ohio, and that their father was born in PA. One said their mother was born in NY, and the other said PA. Many subsequent internet searches yielded very little further information on Joseph. A search of the LDS Family Search site did yield a Mar15, 1848 Ohio birth record and a Sept.14, 1873 Stark Co., IL marriage record for Samuel Henry Goodhart. A search of the Family Tree Maker site then gave me a hit for Samuel H. Goodhart of Stark Co., IL on Vol.30, Tree No.929. This tree listed Samuels wife and children, but not his father.
I then went back to the family records and found the name Addis, who was married to Mary Elizabeth Goodhart. I did a search on Addis at the LDS Family Search web site, and found a record on James Knox Polk Addis who married Mary Elizabeth Goodhart in 1871, and had a child Arthur in Sept.3, 1877 in West Jersey Twp, Stark Co., IL. Then I searched for James Polk Addis at the Family Tree Maker site and found him listed on Vol. 30, Tree #581. A download of this tree allowed me to find the father of Mary Elizabeth Goodhart, who was listed as Benjamin Goodhart. Benjamin Goodhart was born in PA, and his wife Louisa F. Stoddard was born in NY. This tree also listed our Joseph O. Goodhart as Benjamins son.
From this information I was able to do a census search at Ancestry.com for Benjamin Goodhart, and found him listed in Mahoning Co., OH in the 1850 census. Also listed were John and Samuel Goodhart in Trumbull Co., which a check of the Ohio map showed was right next to Mahoning Co. Another trip to the West L.A. FHL yielded 1850 census records on all three Goodharts, and 1860 census records on Benjamin and Samuel in Weathersfield Twp, Trumbull Co., Ohio. Judging from the ages given in the census records I guessed that John Goodhart was the father of Benjamin and Samuel.
Doing another search on John Goodhart, I came across a web site that had the whole family listed, although it was in the internetree format, which is difficult to follow. That site is Trudys Roots II. Trudy L. Smith confirmed my guess on John Goodhart being the father of Benjamin, and traced his ancestors clear back to Germany, where the name was originally Guthard. John Goodhart was married twice, and there is currently some conflict as to the name of the first wife, as another site lists a different name.
In the mean time I obtained a copy of Samuel Henry Goodharts death certificate from Stark Co., IL. In the course of all this I found that he died in 1916, which was late enough to produce a modern style death certificate. It confirmed the names of his father, Benjamin Goodhart, and mother, Louisa Stoddard, that I had found in other sources. After Benjamin's death in 1866, Louisa married Dr. Daniel Tyrrell, a wealthy and renowned physician. The book "The History of Stark County Illinois" by M.A. Leeson, 1887, contained a section on Dr. Tyrell and his wife Louisa, and mentioned all her Goodhart children. The book seems to be in total agreement with our family records. At the time of publication Joseph O. Goodhart was living in Albion, Harper Co., Kansas, which is probably where my grandmother was born. She knew that she was born in Kansas, but did not know exactly where. Joseph O. Goodhart and family later returned to Stark Co., Illinois, where he died in 1892 at age 36, and the rest of the tragedy began to play out.
The information presented below on Benjamin Goodhart and his descendants is based on family records and original research. The ancestral portions were borrowed generously from the Trudy L. Smith web site Trudy's Roots II ,and from the Thera S. Hammond web site Schwenk, Stout, Moyer, Naugle, Goodhart, Latshaw Families .
Descendants of Heinrich Guthard
Generation No. 1
1. HEINRICH2 GUTHARD (JOHANN MARTIN1) was born October 24, 1700 in Rockhausen, Hessen-Nassau, Germany, and died 1760 in Berks Co., Pennsylvania. He married SUSANNAH ?.
Children of HEINRICH GUTHARD and SUSANNAH ? are:
2.i. FRIEDERICH3 GUTHARD, b. September 16, 1725, Germany; d. May 08, 1791, Berks Co., Pennsylvania.
ii. WILHELM GUTHARD, b. 1726-1750.
iii. JACOB GUTHARD, b. 1726-1750.
iv. PETER GUTHARD, b. 1726-1750.
v. MARTIN GUTHARD, b. 1726-1750.
vi. ANNA MARGERETTA GUTHARD, b. 1726-1750.
vii. CATHERINE GUTHARD, b. 1726-1750.
viii. ABRAHAM GUTHARD, b. 1730.
ix. SUSANNAH GUTHARD, b. 1741; d. February 21, 1791, Pennsylvania.
Generation No. 2
2. FRIEDERICH3 GUTHARD (HEINRICH2, JOHANN MARTIN1) was born September 16, 1725 in Germany, and died May 08, 1791 in Berks Co., Pennsylvania. He married MARIA CATHERINE LEPO.
Children of FRIEDERICH GUTHARD and MARIA LEPO are:
Generation No. 3
3. JOHANNES4 GUTHARD (FRIEDERICH3, HEINRICH2, JOHANN MARTIN1) was born August 12, 1749, and died August 16, 1826 in Reading, Berks Co., Pennsylvania. He married MAGDALENA REICHMIER.
Children of JOHANNES GUTHARD and MAGDALENA REICHMIER are:
Generation No. 4
4. JOHN5 GOODHART (JOHANNES4 GUTHARD, FRIEDERICH3, HEINRICH2, JOHANN MARTIN1) was born July 20, 1782 in Pennsylvania, and died April 11, 1863 in Lordstown, Trumbull Co., Ohio. He married (1) MARY MAGDALENE BRINNER November 15, 1806 in Pennsylvania. He married (2) EVA DURST Abt. 1822 in Pennsylvania.
Children of JOHN GOODHART and MARY BRINNER are:
Children of JOHN GOODHART and EVA DURST are:
Generation No. 5
5. BENJAMIN6 GOODHART (JOHN5, JOHANNES4 GUTHARD, FRIEDERICH3, HEINRICH2, JOHANN MARTIN1) was born September 21, 1818 in Pennsylvania, and died August 23, 1866 in Stark Co., Illinois. He married LOUISA F. STODDARD October 13, 1844 in Trumbull Co., Ohio.
Notes for Louisa Stoddard:
From the section on Dr. Daniel Tyrrell, pps 407-410 of "THe History of
Stark County Illinois", by M.A. Leeson, Chicago, M.A. Leeson & Co., 1887:
Children of BENJAMIN GOODHART and LOUISA STODDARD are:
Generation No. 6
6. JOSEPH O.7 GOODHART (BENJAMIN6, JOHN5, JOHANNES4 GUTHARD, FRIEDERICH3, HEINRICH2, JOHANN MARTIN1) was born July 12, 1856 in Mahoning or Trumble Co., Ohio, and died December 12, 1892 in Toulon, Stark Co., Illinois. He married SARAH ANN THROCKMORTON July 07, 1877 in Chariton, Lucas County, Iowa.
Children of JOSEPH GOODHART and SARAH THROCKMORTON are:
Generation No. 7
7. MARGARET ALICE8 GOODHART (JOSEPH O.7, BENJAMIN6, JOHN5, JOHANNES4 GUTHARD, FRIEDERICH3, HEINRICH2, JOHANN MARTIN1) was born June 19, 1885 in Albion, Harper Co., Kansas, and died November 19, 1964 in Hemet, Riverside Co., California. She married (1) DANIEL EARL STALEY September 24, 1904 in Osceola, Clarke Co., Iowa. She married (2) ROBERT W. BARNES Abt. 1941.
Children of MARGARET GOODHART and DANIEL STALEY are:
Generation No. 8
8. GEORGE FRANKLIN9 STALEY (MARGARET ALICE8 GOODHART, JOSEPH O.7, BENJAMIN6, JOHN5, JOHANNES4 GUTHARD, FRIEDERICH3, HEINRICH2, JOHANN MARTIN1) was born June 13, 1908 in Osceola, Clarke County, Iowa, and died February 20, 1994 in La Habra, Orange County, California. He married LOUISE HELEN DEVELINE June 15, 1934 in Fullerton,Orange County,California.
Children of GEORGE STALEY and LOUISE DEVELINE are: